If you are tightening your budget, it doesn’t have to mean squeezing your holiday right out of the picture. With a little planning and some hints from the experts, I have found that you can still enjoy some holiday time this year. Avis have partnered with Lonely Planet guidebooks to give you some ideas on where to go, when and how to save money along the way.
Here are a few of the money saving tips I have picked out to help you get more planet for your pocket:
Save before you go…
- Planning your itinerary and booking transport and hotels ahead of time ensures you get the best prices, saving you both time and money.
- Booking online can fetch amazing deals.
- Also try flying with a low-cost airline to a nearby city (like Girona instead of Barcelona). You’ll save a bundle and see somewhere new.
- Travelling midweek will also set you apart from the big spenders.
Save while you’re there…
- Travelling with kids? Family and student discounts are often available for transport and sights and many destinations have parks, beaches and museums that are absolutely free.
- Family-friendly accommodation doesn’t have to cost big bucks – look for child-friendly guesthouse and family-run hotels instead of the big chains. Better yet, consider camping.
If you are looking to rent a car when you travel abroad, take a look at Rob’s post “Our tips for renting a car this summer” for lots of useful information.
If you have found the above information useful and would like to learn more from Lonely Planet, why not visit the Lonely Planet partner page on the Avis website, where you can save 10% on all Lonely Planet guides.